Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Non-Famous Last Words

The New York Times presented a compelling case of why we should be concerned when a language dies from non-use. I, for some reason, cannot find it within me to worry about it.

Maybe it's because my first (and only) language is English. My ancestors were stripped of their language when they were stolen from their homeland and brought here. Yet, they adapted and even thrived, using the language they were forced to adopt.

What if humans, in a later stage of evolution, communicated ideas to each other through telepathy rather than talking? I feel that as long as the idea is conveyed then that should suffice. I understand that certain nuances inflections would be lost with the lost language, but new nuances and new inflections would take their place, just as they always had.

This whole observation is almost lost on me. People are not static, they are ever evolving, just like language and every other form of communication. What good is an item in your house that you're not using? Throw it out.

No comments: